Sunday, September 22, 2013

Indiana Home Grown

I have a new favorite book "Home Grown Indiana". The reason I like this book is because it's a great resource for anyone who is looking to learn more about food, farming, and eating local. From this book, I have learned where the term "organic" comes from. I've learned about pasteurization, raw milk, raw cheese, and raw honey. And, all of the pros and cons of all of that. I'm not going to chat about the do's and dont's of food production and consumption here. Everyone has a different opinion on that. Just wanted to throw this great reference out there in case you are interested in learning more. If you don't live in Indiana, hopefully there is something comparable available for your state. Last year we began buying our meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey) from a local farmer in Greencastle, IN. It's coming from Red Barn Farms. Check out his website to learn more. Really. Do it. You won't regret it. And if Greencastle is too much of a hike for you... you may just find another farm closer to you in the book I referenced above.

No comments:

Post a Comment