Friday, October 4, 2013

Last Day as an Engineer and New "Insurance"

My husband's last day as an engineer is today. As of tomorrow, he will be a farmer. Farmer Chad. That's him. As this day has been approaching, I have had time to reflect on what this means. I wonder what he is thinking, since he is not only changing jobs, he is changing careers, and choosing a path that is less traveled. So far, this experience, from my perspective, has been very freeing. We have felt the ups and downs, over the past 11.5 years, of a changing economy, and how it effects the automotive industry. When the tsunami hit Japan in 2011, we felt that too. Of course, as farmers, the economy and the weather will have an effect on us too, but in a different way. I find myself in a place where I am more prayerful and more grateful. I haven't prayed much about Chad's job, except when things have been tough. Now, I'm finding myself in prayer, each day, expressing my gratitude for beautiful weather, gratitude for rain, and hope for a bountiful harvest. I know that many people don't believe that God has anything to do with the weather. I'm not really sure that I believe that either. However, prayer couldn't hurt, right? Anything that puts more prayer into our lives is ultimately strengthening our relationship with God, and pulling us away from things that may distract us from keeping that focus. Matthew 26:41 "Keep alert and pray. Otherwise temptation will overpower you. For though the spirit is willing enough, the body is weak!" Finally, I wish to share about our new "insurance". So many have asked what we are going to do about insurance now that Chad is considered self-employed. We were blessed to find out about a ministry from Farmer Tom, the farmer we buy our meat through in Greencastle. We have not signed up for new insurance. In fact, technically we have no insurance. We have recently become members of Samaritan Ministries. To find out more about this unique ministry click here. This is not insurance, but a ministry. When we have a need over $300, other members of the ministry pay our bills. We do the same for the other members, and we don't pay more than $370/month. When we have a need, our names are posted in the monthly newsletter for all of the members. Our fellow members will then pray for us, and pay for our need. This is very untraditional, but I'm finding it to be freeing. Eliminating the insurance companies all together is a relief. Money goes directly to the members who have a need. In case you were wondering, this ministry, and those similar to it, meet the requirements for the new "Obamacare" laws. If you want to know more about it, visit the website, and ask me about it. Even if you have insurance, you might consider Samaritan. Peace and love everyone. Cheers to new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment