Thursday, June 26, 2014

Criminy; That Stinker Cat!

Meet Stinker Cat.
Stinker Cat is the name that I gave to this barn cat that has repeatedly torn into our garbage bags in the garage. She has also tried numerous times to get into our house and has antagonized Murphy Dog. I suspect that she was also the same feline who was involved in a cat fight in our bushes in the middle of the night not too long ago. She is a stinker, that cat.
On Sunday morning, we were heading out to church, when Middle Man found a surprise in our garage.
Well, make that 4 surprises.
Yeah, I'm not a "cat person" mainly because I'm allergic to them, but I could definitely get into being a kitten person.
This cat, the boys named Fluffy. The golden one was named Fluffy Junior. Then, the two gray ones were named Nipper and UniCutie (If you have seen the Lego Movie, you get this).
After church, and the parish picnic, we headed back home. The kids were anxious to get back to the kittens. My concern was their well-being. I have my hands pretty full, and I was not about to become the parent to 4 kittens, though, they were very sweet.
After speaking with our neighbor, we came to the conclusion that the kittens were born in their barn, and that Stinker Cat had moved them, probably because something had spooked them. Our garage is not a good place for kittens, and Murphy Dog was not havin' it!
And as much as it pained my boys, we moved them back to the neighbors barn. The boys are able to visit them there, which they like. After the chaos of the event settled down, I started to feel bad for Stinker Cat, and I sort of started to like her. After all, she is a momma, trying to take care of her babes.
For living on a farm where we raise no animals, we have had our fair share of animal adventures this week. Murphy Dog found Ribbit the toad and managed to get him into his mouth twice. If you have ever seen a miniature schnauzer "play" with other animals, it's pretty entertaining. However, their play will often accidentally kill their playmate. So, I found Ribbit lying on his back on the grass in front of Murphy. I picked him up and realized he was playing dead (smart toad), so I walked him back over to the back of the drive way. He perked right up and peed on my hand. Nice. So, when this happened a second time the very next day, I thought twice about saving him. Not really. I don't want Murphy Dog chewing on Ribbit. It might get messy.
About a week ago there was a mouse in my windshield. Yep. I had loaded up the boys into the van, buckled myself in and was in reverse when I looked out ahead of me and saw two beady eyes looking up at me. A mouse. Underneath the windshield wiper. I put on the brakes and tried not to jump out of my skin. I can't react that way in front of the boys. They live on a farm, so being afraid of a mouse is not a good thing for them. I kept my cool, and watched as the mouse raced across the wipers and out into the field. Dang. Not expecting that. I'm not afraid of mice, but I'm not fond of them either. Thus the need for Stinker Cat n' Kittens.
Murphy Dog is very aware of the presence of Stinker Cat outside. Two nights ago, at 4:00am, Murphy Dog wanted to go outside. Now, I knew the real reason for Murphy wanting to go outside. He had that cat on his mind because he had seen her shortly before going to bed. He was awake, and wanted to see what she was up to. He was relentless and would not give up on it. I let him whine for a bit, but then knew that I had to take him outside in order to get any more sleep. Alright. Now, out here, there are no street lights, as I'm sure you guessed. There are no lights from buildings because there are no buildings. At night, it's pretty dark. Like, darker than dark sometimes. Going out at 4:00am with the dog in the dark was not something I really wanted to do. Our neighbors across the street have an outside light above their garage so I knew that would help. I also turned on our outside lights and looked out the window and found that we were in the middle of split pea soup. Holy fog, man. Thick, creepy, scary-movie-middle-of-the-night-fog. Dang. I looked at Murphy and I knew there was no getting out of this one. I put on my mud boots because I had no idea what I would step in at that point. I put Murph on his leash and we went outside. It was mega creepy. I walked with him down the driveway, not really being able to see much except the orange glow of the neighbors garage light. I could feel the fog as I walked through it. Every thing was still and I could hear the bullfrogs in the pond behind me. I couldn't see Murphy, only feel him on the leash. It was nerve-wracking at first. But then, I sort of settled into it. There I was, with my mud boots and pajamas on in the middle of the country in split pea soup at 4:00am. Whoa. Kinda cool. Never saw my life going in this direction. I breathed in the air and felt the moisture on my skin, and then... some rustling in the bushes in the field next to our driveway. SEE-YA!!! I got Murphy inside and after taking off my mud boots, we had a serious talk. I told him that middle-of-the-night-excursions-to-find-Stinker-Cat are NOT ALLOWED. No. If this happens again, I'm waking the farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment